Already feeling exhausted, fragmented, and stressed?
Maybe a little mad at yourself because you vowed that this year was going to be different. This year you were going to be more relaxed, calm, and if not stress and pain free, closer than before.
You might be trying to remember those stress reduction techniques you learned a few years ago.
But, now they are difficult to remember. Especially during stressful times when you need them the most. How do you do them? When? What are the steps?
Techniques are not truly useful to you if you cannot access them immediately.
They are not truly useful if you cannot generate them yourself. Spontaneously. In the moment you need them.
You can feel better—now:
Would you like to feel better? Right now? Would you like to feel calmer and less stressed? Right now? Would you like to be able to immediately learn how you can generate a quiet space within yourself anytime, any place?
Well, you can.
Thanksgiving Gift--“And…Be Grateful” Breathing Lesson:
Below you’ll find one of my favorite lessons we’ve designed for our students and clients. Originally it was based on a one-hour class on sleeping better and creating more quiet sacred space within yourself. You will hear references to the class.
While having that foundation helps—no worries if you don’t have them now.
Of course, the more experience you gain through group classes and/or private sessions, the more skilled you will be.
You’ll be able to generate a wider range of positive benefits by yourself to reduce stress and pain, to increase vitality, and simply move better and feel better. You’ll also have a powerful ally against the aging of your body/mind/spirit.
Even so, you can gain positive benefits the first time:
Especially if you follow these simple guidelines:
· The first 8:52 minutes: Designed so that you can do it from a chair—that means at your office, in those endless meetings, and perhaps this weekend at the dinner table during long family gatherings.*
· The last 5:40 minutes: Shifts you to your bed to help you sleep.*
*We try to keep the first part of a mini-lesson at 5 minutes--which the first section was--before we uploaded.
· Find a place where you will not be disturbed: Uninterrupted time and space is vital at first. Rarely is someone going to give it to you, so claim it for yourself.
· Be creative—find unconventional spaces: Yes, it is difficult during the holidays when the house is crowded. But, may I recommend some unconventional spaces where we’ve done this mini-lesson ourselves: under a tree, the car, in a closet, the barn, or even the bathroom. I said you could do this lesson anytime, any place!
· It’s not about the movements: Don’t stress out about getting the movements right. This is not gym class. No one is judging you.
· It’s about slowing down enough: So your body/mind/spirit stop racing. So you can feel and sense what is happening and what you are doing.
· Be curious: Notice anything that shifts or is different. Especially before you do the lesson and afterwards.
· Don’t try to make anything happen: By following the verbal instructions, good benefits will happen spontaneously.
· Stay within your comfort zone: Pushing beyond what is comfortable for you will significantly diminish the positive benefits. And possibly hurt you, especially if you have a painful condition or injury. Everyone--do less than you can.
· Later, Change the Phrase: We recommend you choose a few meaningful phrases and switch them around. The class and lesson intentionally includes our spirits--body/mind/spirit are one whole system. And this is a breathing prayer. That said, you can easily shift to a breathing exercise, with phrases such as: “Be Here…Now,” or “Be…Still,” or “Life is Good.”
· Don’t do this one lesson over and over again: Seek out new experiences at Holistic Healing by doing private sessions, group classes, or recorded lessons at home. This is very important.
· Be intentional: That you will generate positive benefits, even the first time. Not by forcing them to happen, but by slowing down. Feeling/Sensing/Listening to what’s happening within you.
· Open yourself to the possibility: That by taking time for yourself—even during the hectic holiday season—you will be generating authentic relaxation, less stress and pain, and more joy.
So even now,, you can make this year different. Grab your laptop or tablet. Go find a quiet hidey-hole. Slow down and do this beautiful breathing lesson. Feel better. Now. Feel calmer and less stressed. Now. Sleep better. Tonight. Begin learning how you can create quiet space within yourself anytime, and any place.
Besides being ABM of Feldenkrais practitioners, Maggie & Ned are organic farmers and beekeepers. They live on their ridge top farm in Elliott County, KY along with their dogs, Scout & Atticus; and, their cats, ClawZilla, TomZilla, Pimento, and Meow Marceau. We will both be writing about a diverse range of topics about how the ABM can help you. Topics from our readers are welcome.